Friday, October 21, 2011

In Search of Kitty Treat

I'll be posting more details on this later, but I need to start somewhere. My late brother, Seth, would have been 44 this October 30th. I intend to begin posting articles from his Joliet Herald News series Historic Impressions. These are the articles from the second year until his death in 2007, just months shy of his 40th birthday.

It was in the midst of the funeral service at Joliet's Oakwood cemetery that I noticed the headstone next to his burial site. It belongs to a woman who died in the late 1800's by the name of Kitty Treat. I have been back several times to confirm that this is not a figment of my imagination. I know it sounds like the perfect name for a Victorian era stripper or drag queen, and what a picture that paints. The headstone is in excellent condition, a study in black marble. I will be checking the dates and posting them here soon. If anyone has any clues, please contact me.

Thanks,

Cean

No comments:

Post a Comment