Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Look What I Got

The ad was obscure, an odd result in the Google search and i am accustomed to those. This one, however, caught my eye.  "Schools by F.S. Allen, Architect, Joliet, Ills.". I dashed off an email request, yes he still had the book, it contained line drawings and photos.  Yes, he was looking to sell.  We agreed on a price and I sent off a check. It arrived yesterday.
It is a fragile piece, paper cover with high quality black and white photos, a couple collages and several pages of sponsor adverts at the back, echoing Mr. Allen's far reaching connections. The book gives a couple extra nuggets such as the marble and desk suppliers for Joliet Central High School and other connections.  My children noted how similar the designs were. Some details changed such as construction materials and the shapes of certain turrets or towers, though all had such towers and turrets along with a shared (mostly) silhouette and massing.
All in all, a wonderful collection and connection to the man whose home I shared for nearly 25 years.  Always good to have a visit from Mr. A.
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments:

Post a Comment